Work Branches

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Oct 5 03:11:11 BST 2019

Hi all,

Recently we had a discussion (which I think may have ended up spread
over a couple of mailing lists in the end) concerning branches and the
ability to force push to them.

Current policy forbids force pushing to branches except in very
limited circumstances (essentially where it is the only option to fix
a branch)

The discussion ended with two ways forward, but no 100% clear
consensus on which way we want to go forward. The two proposed ways
were:
1) Only protect 'master' and declared 'stable' branches.
2) Protect all branches, aside from a given prefix (proposed to be work/)

I'd like to clean this up and sort out the policy we want to have
surrounding this so we can move forward.

>From my perspective i'd rather we go with Option 2, as this will be
the approach that will be easier to both implement and maintain in the
long term and be the least likely to cause collaboration problems (as
the branch naming conventions will be universal across all our
repositories).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben Cooksley