Quick Charts in KDE Review

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Thu Nov 7 15:21:40 GMT 2019

On 11/7/19 7:34 AM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Montag, 21. Oktober 2019, 15:22:23 CET schrieb Arjen Hiemstra:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Quick Charts has been moved to KDE review. The intent is to make it a
>> Tier 1 framework.
>
> Any chance the official name can be "KQuickCharts"? "Quick Charts" is a
> generic name which only asks for being misunderstood, is hard to google etc..
>
>> Quick Charts is a QML module that implements a set of high-performance,
>> GPU accelerated
>> charts. Currently the main user of it is a new KSysGuard UI I have been
>> working on, but
>> once it is part of Frameworks I also hope to convert several bits of
>> Plasma to using it.
>
> If there is only one user currently, might it perhaps be a better idea to do
> some independent releases for a while to get more feedback on the API, before
> settling to the API freeze by being part of KDE Frameworks? It will be at
> least a year until KF6 is there to properly fix up any potential API
> inconveniences which users might find.
> I would at least recommend to first get some API shaping by real-world
> exposure.

Seems like a chicken-egg problem: more exposure would be provided by
getting it through the review process, no? I can see us porting the
graphs in KInfoCenter to use this, for example. But since that's
shipping code, we might not want to do that until it's formally a framework.

+1 for making it a framework sooner rather than later.

Nate