Quick Charts in KDE Review

Arjen Hiemstra ahiemstra at heimr.nl
Thu Nov 7 16:37:37 GMT 2019

On 07-11-2019 15:34, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Montag, 21. Oktober 2019, 15:22:23 CET schrieb Arjen Hiemstra:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Quick Charts has been moved to KDE review. The intent is to make it a
>> Tier 1 framework.
>
> Any chance the official name can be "KQuickCharts"? "Quick Charts" is a
> generic name which only asks for being misunderstood, is hard to google
> etc..

Fair point. Since the repo is already kquickcharts, I will update the
documentation
to match.

>> Quick Charts is a QML module that implements a set of
>> high-performance,
>> GPU accelerated
>> charts. Currently the main user of it is a new KSysGuard UI I have
>> been
>> working on, but
>> once it is part of Frameworks I also hope to convert several bits of
>> Plasma to using it.
>
> If there is only one user currently, might it perhaps be a better idea
> to do
> some independent releases for a while to get more feedback on the API,
> before
> settling to the API freeze by being part of KDE Frameworks? It will be
> at
> least a year until KF6 is there to properly fix up any potential API
> inconveniences which users might find.
> I would at least recommend to first get some API shaping by real-world
> exposure.

So there is one known user currently, KSysGuard. Additionally, there are
several places in Plasma that I want to look at to use them. There is
also
the KInfoCenter energy information page where we want to look at using
this.
Additionally, there has been some interest from others. I do not know
what
Plasma's policy is regarding dependencies, but having it in Frameworks
would make things quite a bit simpler to port existing things.

The module has been in development for about 5 months at this point. We
have
been using it for the mentioned new KSysGuard UI as well as some other
bits
we want to upstream. At this point, I am fairly sure that any major API
changes would amount to a "KF6" version anyway. I would rather commit to
the
stable API so that people will know there is no large chance of things
suddenly changing from underneath them.

  - Arjen