CI system maintainability

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Mar 29 19:54:54 GMT 2019

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 6:45 AM Johannes Zarl-Zierl
<johannes at zarl-zierl.at> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,

> (Sorry for top-posting)
>
> I fear that a mandatory reviews would add too juch strain on smaller teams. If there's just one person with an intimate knowledge of the code-base, plus two co-developers, then who should do the reviews?
>
> How about a distinction based on importance of a project instead? I.e. mandatory reviews for frameworks and any app that wants to be included in KDE apps releases. Non-mandatory reviews can then also come with a "price" to pay: if CI errors are not dealt with in a timely manner, you should be free to disable the CI for administrative reasons...

While this does seem like a nice solution, unfortunately for many
repositories it isn't a case of disabling CI coverage for it, but also
CI coverage for everything that depends on it. In the case of
KContacts, this would also impact on parts of Extragear and Calligra
(who depending on their exact requirements would either lose a
dependency being available, or lose all of their CI coverage).

This is why i've not pursued this as an option in the past, because
it's not fair on other projects that don't have anything to do with
another project aside from being a user of it's interfaces to lose
their coverage, simply because the project they depend on is broken.

>   Johannes

Cheers,
Ben