CI system maintainability

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Thu Mar 28 09:08:54 GMT 2019

In data giovedì 28 marzo 2019 09:50:47 CET, Kevin Ottens ha scritto:
> I'd argue we're loosing more with the current state of PIM than we'd loose
> with mandatory reviews.

Perhaps, instead of an all-or-nothing approach, why not a minimal set of
"requirements" that would require a review? Yes, it requires more discipline
from those involved, but at least it will help people getting "ingrained" with
the concept without being a wall.

Examples:

- No review: typo fixes, compile errors, version bumps (internal)
- Review: build system adjustments (perhaps CC some people knowledgeable in
this case), non-trivial changes like patches
- "Deprecation" removals (as in the casus belli here) - review if touching
more than a handful of files / multiple repos

(list made by someone who has a passing knowledge of C++, so feel free to rip
me to shreds)

Pre-commit CI (i.e. once the switch to GitLab occurs) and perhaps direct
mailing to the user (as I suggested earlier) in case of continuous failures
will also help.

If this thing works, one can gradually ramp up the requirements of things that
go through review when the "muscle memory" is formed.

--
Luca Beltrame
GPG key ID: A29D259B