KDiff3 craft setup

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Thu Mar 7 10:33:16 GMT 2019

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 21:11:11 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dimarts, 19 de febrer de 2019, a les 7:35:58 CET, Kevin Funk va escriure:
> > On Monday, 18 February 2019 17:06:25 CET Michael Reeves wrote:
> > > https://download.kde.org/stable/applications/18.12.1/src/kdiff3-18.12.1.
> > > tar. xz
> > >
> > > Get some one tell me how to change where it's trying to download from.
> > > KDiff3 is not part of applications and doesn't follow the same
> > > versioning.
> >
> > Heya,
> >
> > Could you please reconsider that decision and check whether it's not more
> > worthwhile making kdiff3 part of KDE Applications? It will save you (as
> > the
> > maintainer) and others (distribution packagers) a major headache.
> >
> > You'll be responsible for releasing kdiff3 now and in the future if you
> > choose to do your own release schedule. Let me just say: It's not
> > something which is particular entertaining in the long-term. Your KDiff3
> > involvement will get less eventually, and then someone else needs to take
> > over releasing it -- if it's part of the KDE Apps cycle it'll be done
> > automatically, no matter what.
> >
> > KDiff3 is not the type of application which needs its own release cycle,
> > IMO, it's too small & "undynamic" [1] for that.
>
> Just answering now because i did ignore an email named "KDiff3 craft setup"
> since i don't know anything about craft and it seems now this is being used
> as some kind of agreement that KDiff3 should be moved to KDE Applications.
>
> Personally given KDiff3 has not had any release on its own for a long time I
> would very much prefer to get a few releases on its own.
>
> This way new features/fixes can be released sooner if needed and not tied to
> the more strict KDE Applications schedule.

Well, I dont agree, but choose your pain :)

This might be true for the very first few releases, but after that you'd be
better off just taking part of the KDE Apps cycle. But well, I tried
convincing people.

/me walks away after almost ruining kdevelop.git due to releaseme script usage
(which accidentally pushed tons of stale local tags [1]) and manually scp'ing
tarballs to KDE FTP and now waiting for mirrors to pick up the changes. Some
wasted hours which are not productive at all and which I'd never experience if
there'd be an automatism in place doing all this for me. Just saying.

Regards,
Kevin

[1] https://phabricator.kde.org/D19578