Tipping the apple cart?

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 22:53:56 BST 2019

Hello folks, as you know, I'm not a coder. However, I'm interested in our
code quality, and there has been some observation that "lots of patches get
missed, and submitters get confused due to a lack of auto-populated
reviewers" on Phabricator. Nate Graham has been adding groups to the
reviewers by hand, and would like to not do that any more.

However, many developers simply route all Phab emails to folders where they
sit unread, because Phab sends out an email for every event and comment!
This is far too spammy. In our move to Gitlab, we can do better. Right now,
the devel email lists get these emails -- but it is assumed that they are
often not read, because of the number of patches sitting unreviewed, and
unused. This is bad for our community, and very discouraging to newcomers.
One of our best recent initiatives has been the improve our onboarding
process, and this needs to be part of it.

Improving the workflow on Phabricator is almost pointless, since we're
leaving it. However, please give your ideas, thoughts and even opinions on
how best to improve this in Gitlab. I think if we engineer this well, we
can get more newbie contributors and more new *reviewers.*

I'm ok with starting Yet Another discussion which threatens to tip the
apple cart, because right now, the apples are already on the ground,
rotting.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez - pronouns: she/her