What means having an application in "KDE Applications"

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Sun Jun 16 23:33:23 BST 2019

On 6/16/19 3:41 PM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Jonathan Riddell ha scritto:
>> On Fri, Jun 07, 2019 at 12:09:27AM +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>>> Can we please discuss what being in KDE Applications is first?
>>>
>>> You're telling apps they can join KDE Applications if they want, so to you it's just "release as a service".
>>>
>>> I disagree, to me it's a "we as a community vouch to try to maintain this to the best of our ability/time".
>>>
>>> So [to me] adding more things to KDE Applications needs at least a vague consensus that it's worth making that kind of promise.
>>
>> I think KDE should offer services to apps which want to be part of the
>> apps bundled release along with making the tars such as recommending
>> version number, promo, maybe helping out with packaging for Snaps and
>> Flatpaks and Appimage if there's teams happy to do that.
>
> I think that you are conflating the "help with the release" with the need for
> applications to be part of the bundle.
>
> My dream is an automated server-side tarball generation, in a way that
> developers can simply ask to release from a specific tag and don't care about
> uploading the file to the right place on the incoming ftp/ssh server. But that
> service could exist independently from the bundle.

Can we please not turn every discussion about adding, removing, or
modifying apps in or to the bundle into into a discussion about the
bundle's nature and future? Every time we do this, it seems like nobody
can agree on what we should turn it into and nothing changes. If we're
stuck with the status quo, IMO let's just embrace it and use it.

I support adding things to the bundle that are currently being neglected
in terms of both development and release resources. Putting them into
the bundle seems like a good way to improve these things, rather than
prerequisites to doing it.

Nate