Tipping the apple cart?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jul 1 22:34:14 BST 2019

El dilluns, 1 de juliol de 2019, a les 9:42:34 CEST, Boudewijn Rempt va escriure:
> On maandag 1 juli 2019 09:10:59 CEST Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> > This tells me that Gitlab can be worse, which is not surprising.
> >
> > And can it be better? Will some folks who have a good experience with this
> > on Gitlab speak up?
> >
> > This is something that all of us want and need to know.
> >

> Krita has switched from Phabricator to Gitlab a while ago, so maybe I can add our experience. It's not that great, though.
>
> Bad:
>
> * For new users who want to submit one or two patches, gitlab is way harder to use. They need much more help and handholding.

Really? It uses the workflow all the other major review systems use, arc is a really weird tool (on some distros even hard to install)

Or were you mostly getting patches sent as plain diffs uploaded to phabricator instead of by using arc?

> * Gitlab has an exceedingly confusing UI where many options are very hard to find. The first thing I want to see when I get a MR is the diff,

I guess that's your opinion, having the actual textual description and discussion is also very valuable, since you can get an overview on the MR quite fast.

> and that means scrolling and hunting for a very small button.

You mean the "Changes" button? I find it of adequate size

> * gitlab is slow

That's not the perception i have at all.

> * you cannot have more than one reviewer for a MR

You can have as many reviewers as you want, i guess you mean you can't have more than one assignee.

> * using the label system for approving a MR is cumbersome

What does this mean?

Cheers,
  Albert