freedesktop.org meeting again?

Agustin Benito (toscalix) abenito-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 13 18:02:38 GMT 2019

Hi,

let me provide some context, since this has been made public without
any...Led by Allison Lortie, I organised back in 2013 the logistics of
a freedesktop.org meeting (Freedesktop Summit) sponsored by openSUSE.
The following year, the meeting took over again. I participated in the
early organization of this second edition too, again sponsored and
organised by openSUSE.

The general conclusion was that the meetings were useful for the
different parties present. See some references[1][2][3][4]. There are
more.

The meeting is about coordination and decisions that require the
involvement of specific people from different desktop related
communities and projects. The event consist on discussions and working
sessions only. Both meetings were announced only when the core people
agreed on attending and the sponsorship was closed.

I am exploring if it makes sense to organize such an event again. The
situation today is not the same as 5-6 years ago which is why this
exploration phase is needed. Now there are crossroads at more levels
than before with flatpak, freedesktop-sdk... there is an event like
LAS (in the US), many of the people involved back then are not holding
the same responsibilities, some projects has disappeared, etc.

It was far from my intention to disclose any information about this
exploration in public mailing lists. So please forgive me for going
back again under the radar until I have something solid to tell, for
good or for bad. It makes no sense to make noise about something
before really knowing if it can fly. If it does, I will go public so
people interested might join.

Please understand that putting together the right people at the right
time in one place is not easy.So please contact me privately if you
have any interest on this.

Again, please apologies for trying to take this topic out of any
public forum. I think it is required in order to succeed, based on
previous experiences.

[1] https://dot.kde.org/2013/04/17/report-freedesktop-summit
[2] https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:2013_Desktop_Summit
[3] https://news.opensuse.org/2014/03/27/freedesktop-summit-about-to-start/