Exemptions to try KF "grow" vs. consistent experience (Re: Submitting Grantlee as a KF5 Framework)

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Fri Dec 27 13:47:52 GMT 2019

Hi,

Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> schrieb am Fr., 27. Dez. 2019, 11:04:

> On Thursday, 26 December 2019 19:25:09 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El dimarts, 24 de desembre de 2019, a les 13:05:23 CET, Friedrich W. H.
> Kossebau va escriure:

> KCalendarCore/KQuickCharts/etc
> > >
> > > Having to make exemptions shows a principal design flaw though: if the
> > > idea is to pull in more libraries into KF, incl. some with previous
> > > releases & thus existing userbase hoping on longer-term stable ABI, the
> > > same will also happen in the KF6 series. And even for the currently
> > > discussed two libs Grantlee & QKeychain it means at least 1 1/2 years &
> > > longer (assuming KF 6.0.0 is coming then, and see how long kdelibs4
> > > survived) for being just "exemptions". It's rather that the
> "exemptions"
> > > become part of the rules that way.
> > Which kind of exceptions are we speaking about?
> >
> > ABI stability? or?
>
> The opposite actually :) It's about keeping existing API/ABI of frameworks
> with a significant (KDE external) user base when joining KF5, until the
> next
> major release, even if that means making compromises regarding e.g. our
> naming
> conventions.

If you are confident that the usually necessary steps to become an
"aligned" framework are going to be done in the kf6 transition, then I
believe this is ok.

That's why I mentioned that these steps should be added to the kf6
workboard.

Let's say Grantlee will not make these steps, then it's as simple as moving
it out of the kf6 circle again.

As I understand, you see a nice opportunity to make the KDE Frameworks more
recognized. I'd say, go for it.

Best regards
Dominik