Possible to move some KF5 frameworks to invent?

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Aug 13 12:40:10 BST 2019

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:27 PM Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:54 PM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:

> > > That's what tags are for, not branches.

> > > Right. But this only happens with recent stable branches, not
> > > really old stuff like "enterprise3".
> > >
> > > In any case, we should be able to make a list of stable branches,
> > > especially if we can use wildcards like Applications/*.
> >
> > Unfortunately the problem isn't with Frameworks, Applications and
> > Plasma - they're easy to handle and their naming can be scripted
> > without too much trouble.
> > The problem lies with Extragear, which has a large number of projects,
> > all of which have different rules for what a stable branch is named.
>
> As Albert said, the solution would be to establish a common scheme for
> protected branches.

That would be nice if we did have a common scheme.
I'm looking at what we have currently though - which is a situation
where the names are not consistent in any form.

Note also that some of the projects in Extragear are very much fans of
"maintainer rights" and have disregarded general community policy in
the past.

> > For these, someone ends up with having to maintain and update that
> > list as needed.
> >
> > Maintaining this list would also be complicated because our hooks have
> > no idea whether Gitlab considers a branch protected or not - so either
> > our hooks handle whether force pushes are allowed or not, or we end up
> > duplicating the knowledge in two places.
>
> These are very solvable problems, even with a random-name schemes. We
> know which branches are/were used as trunk/stable and could have an
> automated system keeping tracking. We can also determine/manage which
> branches are marked protected on the gitlab side via the API.

At the moment i'm quite wary of building additional systems due to
limited resources to maintain what we do have.
I'd very much rather prefer a solution which isn't reliant on
maintaining additional infrastructure to support it.

> HS

Cheers,
Ben