liquidshell in kdereview

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Sat Apr 13 13:08:18 BST 2019

On Freitag, 12. April 2019 12:48:17 CEST Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Sunday, March 10, 2019 1:25:14 PM CEST Martin Koller wrote:
> > since some time has already passed and there was no conclusion, I'll try
> > once again to announce liquidshell.
>
> # Documentation issues
>
> The features list, both in German and English, lists a bunch of features that
> distinguish it from, say, twm, not from Plasma.

I don't understand your point.
What do you want me to change?

> The feature list in English doesn't match the one in German. The English one
> includes dubious claims such as "instant startup" and "low memory footprint",
> which I'd still want to see measured and/or demonstrated.

you can see them when you start liquidshell.
What do you want me to change ?

> Typo's in (English) README.
>
> # License issues
>
> None, actually. Well done. Consistent use of GPLv3+ everywhere. You might want
> to add SPDX identifiers, but that would be the icing on the cake.

Where, which and how would I need to add SPDX identifiers ?
Where is this documented in KDE guidelines ?
Here
https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy
I don't find anything.

> # Source issues
>
> Doesn't report nicely at end of CMake (use FeatureSummary).

included now

> # Compatibility issues
>
> Fails to document that NetworkManager and BlueZ are required.

Not sure I understand.
The cmake file includes
find_package(KF5 REQUIRED COMPONENTS
for NetworkManagerQt and BluezQt

> Uses bash for things that are POSIX shell scripts.

What do you mean ?
There is exactly one shellscript which is not build related:
start_liquidshell
it contains #!/bin/bash
if you're referring to this.
I did this since I remember having read that /bin/sh is not the correct way.

> Those (two items) above are symptoms of "liquidshell is a shell for Martin
> Koller and people with exactly his computer setup and workflow".

"my workflow" - of course.
"exactly his computer" - not so.
E.g. it seems Arch Linux provides liquidshell: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/liquidshell-git/
Also KaOS have included liquidshell https://linuxscoop.com/video/whats-new-kaos-2018-01

I'm using openSuse.

> Since the KDE community has traditionally produced general, flexible software, it's weird to
> have a restricted, limited, non-flexible product as well.

If you find liquidshell too limited and unflexible for you, don't use it.
liquidshell's intent is exactly being this: simple and not over complex (aka general, flexible)

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

/\                        - against proprietary attachments

Geschenkideen, Accessoires, Seifen, Kulinarisches: www.lillehus.at