Symmy in kde-review

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Apr 12 12:12:53 BST 2019

On Friday, April 12, 2019 10:13:10 AM CEST Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 at 13:31, Elvis Angelaccio <elvis.angelaccio at kde.org>
wrote:
> > symmy has been moved to kde-review for the usual review process.
> >
> > It's a tiny frontend for the symmetric encryption functionality of GPG. It
> > doesn't handle signing or public/private keys, as we already have kgpg or
> > kleopatra for that.
> >
> > Symmy can be useful if you have to send some sensitive file to someone, of
> > if you want to store it on some proprietary cloud service.

I should have piped up earlier:

# Compatibility

I wonder about Messages.sh. It claims to need bash, but I don't actually see
any bash-ism in it. $() command substitution is POSIX-compatible.

I haven't looked at tooling to produce manpages from docbook, but good on you
for including a manpage.

Compiled without meaningful warnings w/ clang 6 (which is often more picky
than gcc).

# Licensing

You might want to add SPDX identifiers to files, but that's icing on the cake.
Looks like a consistent GPLv2+ codebase, well-documented.

# Runtime

Since it's supposed to be a CLI application, you might want to massage the QPA
this:

[adridg at beastie ~/src/kde/symmy/build]$ ./src/symmy
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though
it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be
initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, bsdfb, minimal,
offscreen, vnc, xcb.

Abort trap (core dumped)

But overall: well done, welcome to extragear.

[ade]