Rebase of kopete branch and push it to master

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jan 15 23:06:29 GMT 2018

El dilluns, 15 de gener de 2018, a les 9:50:11 CET, Pali Rohár va escriure:
> On Sunday 14 January 2018 23:59:45 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El diumenge, 14 de gener de 2018, a les 21:52:29 CET, Pali Rohár va
escriure:
> > > Hi!
> >
> > Hello Mr Rohár
> >
> > > From the following ticket https://phabricator.kde.org/T7642 I was
> > > suggested to open discussion on kde-core-devel list. Sending this email
> > > also to kopete-devel as it is relevant for Kopete development.
> > >
> > > Currently in Kopete git repository https://cgit.kde.org/kopete.git/ is a
> > > branch kf5 which contains port of Kopete to KF5. That branch was created
> > > 3 years ago as part of GSoC was used as "staging area". Some patches
> > > there are incomplete and later were "fixed & cherry-picked" into master
> > > branch. Therefore you can find commits with same description/commit
> > > message in master branch and kf5, but correct (working) one is in
> > > master. Later this branch was used for pushing whole work of porting.
> > >
> > > I took commits from this branch kf5 and rebased it on top of master with
> > > cleanup of duplicate commits and commits which are already in master
> > > branch. And this rebase I pushed into my cloned git repository
> > > https://cgit.kde.org/clones/kopete/pali/kopete.git/log/?h=master-kf5
> > >
> > > I wanted to push these master-kf5 changes into main kopete repository
> > > into master branch, but it was rejected by commits hook, see above T7642
> > > ticket.
> >
> > No, we can't read private sysadmin tickets.
> >
> > > Reason is that "rebase" is not supported by KDE. ltoscano and
> > > bcooksley suggested to discuss about it on kde-core-devel.
> > >
> > > From my side as that branch kf5 contains duplicate commits as in master
> > > branch and commits with same commit messages and different (old) patches
> > > I really do not like see these commits in master branch. It would break
> > > certain of git functionality (like bisect or blame, or log). And because
> > > it was mean as a staging area, I would really like to use that rebase
> > > for this time. I do not thing that there are advantage to merge this kf5
> > > branch as is into master and better would be rebase.
> > >
> > > Is there anything really against rebasing this one particular branch?
> >
> > Yes, you have not explained why you need rebasing.
>
> I already wrote it. I do not want to see one commit in git history
> accessible from master branch two times. Or git commits with same commit
> message / same description, but with different content.

That's not really a big problem is it? Like you wrote it seemed that if you
were unable to rebase things would be terribly broken or something.

> > Just merge master-kf5 into master.
> >
> > master as it is right now works, no?
>
> Yes, but depends on KDE4.
>
> > (or i hope it should, we agreed long time
> > ago to not break master), so just merge the "kf5 clean branch" into it and
> > that's it, no?
> >
> > > For future (to prevent any such problem with rebasing), staging areas
> > > would be outside of main KDE git repository.
> >
> > How would that fix anything? You will still not be able to rebase master.
>
> But I never wanted such thing, nor I want in the future.

I am really lost then, you don't want to rebase master, but you wrote an email
saying you needed to rebase the master branch, no? If not then i misunderstood
your problem.

> > Or you're saying that you want to rebase your work branches?
>
> Yes, take branch kf5, locally rebase it (on top of master) and then push
> changes to remote master. As already wrote, I did it and pushed this
> rebased branch into my cloned git repository under branch name
> master-kf5.

So is the problem:
 a) that you could not push that master-kf5 to master
or
 b) that you could not push that master-kf5 to kf5
or
 c) something else and Albert is still lost
?

Cheers,
  Albert