Phabricator: How to get the email address of contributors?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Jan 4 21:52:40 GMT 2018

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 11:50:09 PM CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 11:02 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > El dimarts, 2 de gener de 2018, a les 22:24:13 CET, Luigi Toscano va
escriure:

> >> Let's restart the discussion where it stopped last time (please read it):
> >>
> >> https://phabricator.kde.org/T5242
> >>
> >> tl;dr
> >> Phabricator does not hide if the contributor used arcanist to submit the
> >> patch.
> >>
> >> IMHO that should work even when git format-patch is used but there is an
> >> internal disagreement on this.
> >>
> >> IMHO (more complicated) that should work even with the web submission
> >> with
> >> some checkbox is marked (to publish the email and name), but there is
> >> both
> >> internal disagreement and upstream one on this.
> >>
> >  * We have the info
> >  * We used to show it
> >  * No ne ever complained about us showing it (AFAIK)
> >  * Not showing it breaks our workflow
>
> You'd be amazed at what people complain about :)
>
> People who register on Bugzilla, clicking through a big warning saying
> your email address will be public to do so, will later complain we're
> spreading their address publicly (shock, we're doing something we said
> we were going to do, and by continuing you agreed to us doing that!)
>
> > I can't think of no other reason to not show the email address other than
> > "the software we are using is bad".
>
> If memory serves it was a deliberate design decision on part of the
> Phabricator developers, as:
> a) They want to support people having a different email address to use
> the software compared to the address on their commits
> b) When registering people have not necessarily consented to having
> their email address made public
>
> It isn't "bad" software, it just happens to have a workflow weakness
> when Arcanist isn't used (which upstream strongly recommend).

Yes, one of many workflow weaknesses and I've raised my concerns about this
before. Nothing ever came out of it, see also:

https://secure.phabricator.com/T12257

Back then, they kept saying they are working on a proper git workflow (which
they also don't have, and no - arc just sucks), but nothing ever came out of
this either:

https://secure.phabricator.com/T5000

I really hate to use phabricator, its enforced workflows really get in my way
far too often :-/

Maybe 2018 will be the year that brings improvements? Let's keep wishing!

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de