Review request: plasma-pass

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Mon Dec 10 13:49:28 GMT 2018

Hi folks,

back in May I wrote a Plasma applet that serves as a GUI frontend for the pass
password manager [0]. I blogged about it [1], but then somewhat forgot to make
a release etc. Recently I started getting some emails from packagers where to
get a tarballs so I think it's time to get some translations in and start
doing official releases. Thus I'd like to ask for a review for inclusion in
extragear.

The way pass works is it has a directory in which each password is stored in a
PGP-encrypted file, the name of the file is the name of the password. You can
also create subfolders to organize the passwords.

The code of the applet is a C++ model that watches said directory and exposes
its content as a tree. There's also a filter proxy model which uses partial
string matching code from KDevelop (so you can filter for "jd at f" and it
matches "john.doe at fmail.com").

The applet itself sits in systray, when activated it shows the top-level list
of folders and password. Code-wise it contains a stack of list views, when
entering a subfolder it pushes a new listview with content of that folder to
the stack. Selecting a password decrypts it using gpg and puts it into
clipboard for 45 seconds. After that it clears it from the X clipboard as well
as Klipper.

There's a bit of mess regarding focus handling in the QML, but the goal was to
make the applet fully controllable via keyboard, which wasn't easy with my
QML skills :)

Looking forward to your feedback,
Dan

[0] https://www.passwordstore.org/
[1] https://www.dvratil.cz/2018/05/plasma-pass/

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683