Time formats / LC_TIME challenge for 4-digit year support

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Dec 4 19:10:44 GMT 2018

El dilluns, 3 de desembre de 2018, a les 14:47:56 CET, Jaroslaw Staniek va escriure:
> Hello,
> The need: 4-digit year support for short date formats to avoid issues like
> "10/11/12" dates.

What's wrong with 10/11/12 ?

> This is just my initial conclusion from for the Qt date format issue:
>
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-59382?focusedCommentId=436861&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-436861
> lt;dr: KF5 context: KCallendarSystem is part of the old APIs and the only
> code I found related to LC_TIME.
>
> So I've not found any common code KDE app can use instead of hard coding
> some internal logic in order to support non-Plasma environments and/or
> non-global settings. Basically even if an app implements locale name
> selection in its private settings, "pure" Qt code is not enough to support
> it in the discussed cases. Users may need alter date format globally (for
> all apps) by hand using environment's settings, setting e.g. yyyy-mm-dd. Or
> app developers may add private setting for that, one per app.
>
> Opinions welcome.

I am not sure i understand your email/problem.

As far as i read this email your concern is:
 * localized dates use the locale date format
 * locale date format is "wrong".

So the two options are:
 a) User changes their locale
 b) Apps don't use localized dates and use a custom format.

Am I understanding your email correctly?

Cheers,
  Albert