KDE Review: Rust Qt Binding Generator

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Sep 4 06:46:28 BST 2017

Hello,

On Sunday, 3 September 2017 18:14:49 CEST Jos van den Oever wrote:
> [...]
> The idea of this binding generator is that you write each part in the most
> appropriate language. Rust bindings for Qt are hard to get right and will
> still have caveats for a while. With this generator, you write the UI in C++
> or QML. The generated code has no dependencies apart from Qt Core and the
> Rust crate libc.

So what's the intent with this one? Is it a stop gap measure until cpp_to_rust
is more complete?
https://github.com/rust-qt/cpp_to_rust

Are you contributing to it as well? (I started patching it locally but still
need to clean up my work for upstream contribution)

> [...]
> This project is not a typical C++ KDE project, but I hope it can be part of
> KDE anyway.

Of course take the above more as curiosity and wondering how that will fit
regarding the larger Rust ecosystem. I don't see a problem with things like
this to be part of KDE.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net