liquidshell in kdereview

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Nov 30 18:57:45 GMT 2017

Am 2017-11-29 21:23, schrieb Martin Koller:
> On Freitag, 3. November 2017 21:30:19 CET Martin Koller wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to announce an application I've implemented over the last few
>> weeks - liquidshell
>
> since more than 3 weeks have passed, I hopefully have addressed all
> issues and I got no further comments,
> are there any blocking points you see or can I proceed requesting the
> move to extragear ?

Yes I still see several blocking items. E.g.
"liquidshell is an alternative to plasmashell"

I think that should be removed. I do not want any competing or
alternative to plasmashell provided by KDE. This would be very bad for
our community. Please formulate the readme without mentioning Plasma.
I'm sure you are able to find unique selling points without going into
any part of competition with Plasma or in any part which could be
misunderstood.

What I do not want is Phoronix: "KDE starts new desktop shell because
Plasma sucks". Please formulate everything so that it cannot be
misunderstood.

Also remove all the parts about the main motivation without "hog cpu or
ram". We already discussed that this was a problem with your local and
personal setup. Don't piss on Plasma because your setup has problems.
You have all the rights to scratch your own itch, but don't piss on us.

Personally I'm against liquidshell getting added to extragear. I think
this would be harming the KDE community to have a shared desktop shell.
We have already too much fragmentation on the desktop area and I don't
think KDE should support this by creating yet another desktop shell. We
should think here in the big picture.

Cheers
Martin