Recommended modesetting driver for Intel graphic cards

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Nov 20 16:28:06 GMT 2017

Am 2017-11-20 11:59, schrieb Milian Wolff:
> On Samstag, 18. November 2017 15:34:16 CET Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
> wrote:

>> > Martin, thanks a lot for your advice!
>> >
>> > I've suffered from freezes since I updated my openSUSE 13.2 to Tumbleweed
>> > some time ago (and much longer on my laptop where I've switched to Leap
>> > and
>> > later Tumbleweed much earlier).
>>
>> Same here, happy to finally see someone with correlated experience. I
>> never
>> got any useful hints in the log files, so was close to consider my
>> hardware
>> broken. Strange enough all freezes seemed to happen while moving the
>> mouse
>> though, which kept the hope alive it was something software-related.
>>
>> Curious to see if my daily freeze will now be a thing of the past now
>> that I
>> changed the driver. Though I am on a 2nd gen 915 device, while all the
>> modesettings driver talk I came across on a quick search seemed to be
>> only
>> about gen4 and later? No issues seen for one hour so far, hope grows
>> :)
>> > The switch to the modesetting driver seems
>> > to have fixed those issues. It took me some time to find out how to enable
>> > the modesetting driver. To save others the time here's how to do it: Write
>> > #=====
>> > Section "Device"
>> >
>> >    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
>> >    Driver      "modesetting"
>> >
>> > EndSection
>> > #=====
>> > to a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, e.g. 50-device.conf. Make sure that
>> > this is the only (or at least the first) "Device" section in any of the
>> > files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.
>>
>> Another approach seems to be to uninstall xf86-video-intel, that way
>> the
>> seemingly hardcoded driver-auto-match logic will skip forward to the
>> modesetting driver:
>>
>> [    12.125] (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 0
>> [    12.125] (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 1
>> [    12.125] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2
>> [    12.125] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
>> [    12.125] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4
>> [    12.125] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
>> [    12.125] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
>> [    12.127] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module intel
>> [    12.127] (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
>> [    12.127] (II) Unloading intel
>> [    12.127] (EE) Failed to load module "intel" (module does not
>> exist, 0)
>> [    12.127] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
>> [    12.127] (II) Loading
>> /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
>
> I've also recently come across this. According to [1] the performance
> is
> supposedly much worse. Is this still true for more recent mesa/kernel
> versions?

You quoted Phoronix. I hope you don't expect Phoronix to be able to get
proper measurements. That's something Phoronix still hasn't succeeded
after all those years. Just for fun I clicked that link and the first
graph shows a benchmark showing a game one running at 22.15, the other
at 22.13 fps. This difference is kernel sneezing. So much to that. But
the real issue is that a game running at 22 fps is unplayable. It has
nothing to do in the benchmark, the setup is broken. This has been the
issue as long as I followed Phoronix benchmarking. From an academic
point of view - which you understand as much as I do - it's just all
extremely horrible.

Don't take any numbers serious. Michael doesn't understand how to do
benchmarking. He just runs his tools. He doesn't think about what a
benchmark should show, what he wants to show. And he doesn't interpret
the numbers. He just gives numbers. Do they matter? Who knows. You
derived from his numbers that the "performance is much worse". Is that
the case? I don't know because I don't see this in the benchmark. I just
see numbers. We would have to ask someone understanding the system
whether it makes sense. I assume there are not many people who might be
able to answer the question. Maybe the authors of GtkPerf, maybe Keith
Packard as the author of glamor, but certainly not Michael from
Phoronix.

Hadn't done a Phoronix benchmarking rant for years ;-) Sad that it still
is needed.

For reference I point to a blog post from 2012 where I discuss Phoronix
benchmarking in detail:
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2012/09/why-i-dont-like-game-rendering-performance-benchmarks/

Everything written there still fully applies to the benchmark in
question

Cheers
Martin