liquidshell in kdereview

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Nov 16 22:24:52 GMT 2017

On Dienstag, 7. November 2017 20:55:57 CET Martin Flöser wrote:
> Am 2017-11-07 20:08, schrieb Martin Koller:
> >> Are you aware that KWin uses QtQuick for all its UI elements, such as
> >> Alt+TAB?
> >
> > I have deactivated the compositor since sadly it simply does not work
> > on my laptop (the intel graphics driver just freezes the whole
> > machine).
>
> I did not talk about compositor, I talked about QtQuick! Yes, KWin uses
> QtQuick for rendering it's UI, that is unrelated to compositing.
>
> Now you mention that your intel graphics driver freezes the whole
> system. I'm using Intel on all my systems and it's the most used driver
> out there. We get many, many, many bug reports in KWin about issues.
> Freezing systems has not been in the list for now something like two
> years.
>
> Given that I am very certain that you have a hardware issue where people
> can help you with. Intel GPUs are good enough to run the Plasma session
> without any negative impact.
>
> So let us help you fix your issues that you can enjoy our work without
> having to spend time on writing your own shell.
>
> First thing: are you using the xorg-modesettings driver? If not: install
> it, problems solved. Do not (I repeat) do not use the xorg-intel driver.
>
> For kernel I recommend at least version 4.13 as this comes with the
> atomic modesettings driver stack enabled by default. If you do not have
> such a kernel version yet I highly recommend to give it a try.

Martin, thanks a lot for your advice!

I've suffered from freezes since I updated my openSUSE 13.2 to Tumbleweed some
time ago (and much longer on my laptop where I've switched to Leap and later
Tumbleweed much earlier). The switch to the modesetting driver seems to have
fixed those issues. It took me some time to find out how to enable the
modesetting driver. To save others the time here's how to do it: Write
#=====
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "modesetting"
EndSection
#=====
to a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, e.g. 50-device.conf. Make sure that this
is the only (or at least the first) "Device" section in any of the files in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

Regards,
Ingo