Application usage statistics and targeted user surveys

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu May 25 15:42:29 BST 2017

On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 17:38:22 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> Hey Volker, I figured out this one. Never mind.
>
> I've done a proof of concept integrating it in Discover, here's 2 patches:
> https://phabricator.kde.org/D5960
> https://phabricator.kde.org/D5961

There's still two aspects missing in the integration:
- configure Provider to actually submit (see productIdentifier, feedbackServer
and submissionInterval properties)
- probably add some data sources (in the current form you only get an
indication on how many users you have, and untargeted surveys, nothing more)

The second point will need some more QML wrapper API. I'll look into adding a
QML plugin to KUserFeedback directly for this.

> Now to proceed I'd like to give a try to whole system including the
> server. Do you have documented how to set it up anywhere? Would make
> it easier.

INSTALL contains the deployment documentation, both for the full setup with
authentication on an Apache server, and locally for unsecured testing using
the built-in PHP server.

I've also got a playground server on my own infrastructure now that I can
provide accounts for. And Jan has published his ongoing work on creating a
Docker image for the server here: https://github.com/KDAB/kuserfeedbackdocker

Regards,
Volker