Application usage statistics and targeted user surveys

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jun 12 08:13:31 BST 2017

On samedi 10 juin 2017 10:11:44 CEST Volker Krause wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 June 2017 01:36:44 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > > El dissabte, 3 de juny de 2017, a les 11:49:00 CEST, Volker Krause va
> > >
> > > escriure:

> > > To me it seems a few releases from extragear would make sense before
> > > moving to frameworks and promise full API/ABI compatibility.
>
> Sounds sensible to me, let's do that.
>
> > > OTOH when moving from extreagear to frameworks we may have to rename
> > > library (to have the KF5 suffix) which would break also API (at least at
> > > the cmake level).
> > >
> > > How do people feel having libs in extreager having the KF5 "cmake
> > > naming"
> > > in the understanding that we're stabilizing them to be part of
> > > frameworks
> > > eventually?
> >
> > IMO it's a bit weird and unsettling. But then, we're already doing it
> > for many pim libraries (not in extragear but in applications, still
> > not part of KF5).

And that's a bug, and certainly not an example to follow.

When people look at an installed linux distro, all they see is installed libs,
they don't see whether we call it "extragear" or "frameworks". So anything
called somethingKF5something looks like it's part of KF5, with API/ABI
promises.

> But isn't the rename the least of our problems if we start in extragear/libs
> exactly to be able to still do ABI, API and behavior changes until we are
> happy with things for frameworks?

Yes, exactly. Do it in extragear but *without* KF5 suffix.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5