Zanshin is in kdereview

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Sun Jul 2 12:52:48 BST 2017

Hey,

> 2) the third one (libkdepim) I'm forbidden to link against since it's
private API to kdepim (turned into a dumping ground apparently...).

> Obviously, as soon as libkdepim is cleaned up (which I regularly hear it's
> supposed to happen) and features are moved in proper frameworks I'll drop it
> from the 3rdparty folder. Didn't happen yet...

Well kdepim is a open group. kdepim is not giving API stability because, we
need space to cleanup, but the team is not very big, so it takes time. But I
don't see why you are not just link against the relevant parts of kdepim and
remove the copy. And than tell kdepim that you are using these files, so the
team can take that into account when touching the files. Additionally you can
add tests and cleanup the code yourself.

As fallback you can still copy the files as temporally solution in future, if
things break.

The relevant point for me is that copies of code have a slash back, sometimes
fast sometimes it takes much time. But what I can say from my work in Debian
is that often Debian needs to coordinate the discussion to get rid of copies,
that could have been avoided if the different projects had been talking
directly with each other.

For me  the existence of those copies and no discussions with kdepim are a -1
for moving it out of Review.

Best Regards,

sandro