What's kde-core-devel for?

Elvis Angelaccio elvis.angelaccio at kde.org
Wed Jan 18 21:56:06 GMT 2017

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>> In the old days it had kdelibs development discussion but not that that has
>> moved over to kde-frameworks-devel, waht's kde-core-devel for?
>
> *cough*
> http://markmail.org/thread/opcvfo5h7elrvqdl
>
> Everyone kinda agrees that there's one list too many between
> kde-core-devel and kde-frameworks-devel. Someone needs to file a
> sysadmin ticket and that person gets to decide whether kde-core-devel
> gets killed in favor of kde-frameworks-devel (and kde-devel) or vice
> versa. Discussing this is nothing but a bikeshed waste of time.
>
> kde-core-devel is an overly generic name. It being generic makes it an
> attractive dumping ground for just about anything that seems even
> remotely relevant to more than one development team, which is weird as
> there's probably lots of devs that aren't even subbed here (anymore).
> The way I see it kde-frameworks-devel has a specific discussion topic,
> kde-core-devel does not. It may have in principle at some point been
> about kdelibs but those days are long gone, probably in no small part
> due to its naming. kde-core-devel should be done away with, sending
> all kdelibs relevant topics to kde-frameworks since the knowledgeable
> people hang out there. General development discussion should happen on
> kde-devel as is already happening anyway. Release discussion should
> happen on release-team. If any topics are then left out in the cold we
> can open a new list kde-devel-community for random stuff that the
> developer community wishes to discuss.
>
> (FTR: this list gets konqueror reviews. very core :-/)

Hi,
this thread seems to have stalled a bit. Can we please reach some
consensus on this?
I'm still seeing people discussing whether that particular topic
should go to k-c-d or <insert ML here>.

I fully agree with what Harald said. Let's just kill k-c-d and go on
with our lives. We already have all the MLs we need.

Cheers,
Elvis