CI Requirements - Lessons Not Learnt?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jan 15 17:41:56 GMT 2017

Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> I think that is a reasonable suggestion. If distros patch our
> dependencies we need to consider this as a fork. And a fork should be
> called a fork. It needs to be clear that KDE is not responsible for any
> issues caused by the fork and thus the complete product must be renamed.
>
> Also if a component like KWin gets forked this means that the complete
> product Plasma has to be considered as forked.

Oh dear, no!

The good thing about KDE has always been that it has allowed downstream
modifications in an unbureaucratic way, allowing full use of the KDE
trademark and other related names even for modified versions. Switching to a
Firefox-style policy where every single modification has to be OKed by
Mozilla (in your case, by KDE) would make your software a real pain to
distribute, especially since you want to disallow modifications absolutely
necessary to make your software work on some distributions. (Sure, in this
particular case, xkbcommon can be updated, if distribution policies allow
it. But you are talking about dependency changes in general, which can have
bumped sonames or other incompatibilities.)

        Kevin Kofler