CI Requirements - Lessons Not Learnt?

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:37:11 GMT 2017

> El 12 ene 2017, a las 14:54, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> escribió:
>
> Jan Kundrát wrote:
>> do you have some examples of distribution maintainers actually doing such
>> a stupid thing?
>
> I've done it more than once. If the dependency that the latest upstream
> version wants is not available and will not be made available for whatever
> reason, reverting the dependency bump is really the only way. And the users
> will be no worse off than if we had stuck to the old version that did not
> have the changes I am reverting to begin with.

It is not true that users will be no worse off. An application could increase the dependency of libfoo to 1.3 and add code using a feature that was broken in 1.2. If you then revert the version bump, you get code that uses the new feature but allows libfoo 1.2, where it's broken. Users are now worse off than if you had stuck to the old version.

--
Nicolás