CI Requirements - Lessons Not Learnt?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Jan 12 16:28:23 GMT 2017

On 01/13/2017 01:13 AM, Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Remember: even if we have disagreements (even strong), we're all on the
> same side.

I strongly agree with this. We have enough problems (e.g. making
great software) without fighting each other. As a bystander I've
been disappointed by multiple parties in this ordeal for being
confrontational completely needlessly instead of having the
maturity to step back, take in the big picture of the problem,
and try to work out a solution together. This yelling-at-the-
other-side style (and even threats of shutting down constructive
debate with taking steps) causes people to burn out, to quit to
save face, to say things in response they can't take back, and so
on. Avoiding these things is much more important than CI breaking.

Unhappy contributors are just as much an impediment to the quality
of our software. Don't break our software.

We're having major fight /because the build broke briefly over a
new dependency/. That's like setting the factory on fire because
a can of paint got knocked over. This is nuts.

You have the option not to fight.

Cheers,
Eike