CI Requirements - Lessons Not Learnt?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jan 5 20:49:52 GMT 2017

Am 2017-01-05 21:13, schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> On 2017 M01 5, Thu 16:11:43 CET Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> >
>> > That's what #ifdef is for...
>>
>> +1
>>
>> The new xkbcommon requirement is also an issue for us in Fedora.
>
> IMO bumping dependencies is not only a problem for CI and distros, but
> also
> for normal contributors.

Everybody complaining here about this dependency increase is free to
directly take over KWin maintainership.

If you seriously think I did not consider the impact this would have on
normal contributors, then I'm the wrong person to maintain KWin.
Apparently I think that this dependency is way more important to overall
KWin than a few people having to manually build xkbcommon. Which is
fairly trivial as David showed in his reply to the thread and also
something I know, because I used the development version of xkbcommon
with a custom patch to test out the new API we needed.

I'm highly annoyed by this topic. I got a lot of complaints about this.
On the other hand just two weeks before we upgraded to the latest
libinput and nobody noticed or complained. Maybe start ask your distros
why they don't treat the base stack the same.

Cheers
Martin