Reviving KAudioCreator

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Fri Dec 22 09:59:55 GMT 2017

Hi Kevin,

I did a little work on KCompactDisc about two years ago (and also
looked at KAudioCreator), and then realised it hadn't been working for
a long time. I never got around to finishing it, but I think someone
else got it partially working in the meantime.

IIRC the problems I ran into were:

1) KAudioCreator seemed to use KCompactDisc to enumerate audio CDs but
that didn't work. Audio CD enumeration seems to have been removed from
Solid in KF5.
2) Phonon's Audio CD reading/ripping interfaces do work (at least with
the VLC backend), but are undocumented.

I don't know if it still exists but I had a branch of KCompactDisc
somewhere that was based off libcdio, and would expose each track as a
QIODevice with a RIFF header generated on-the-fly (so that you can
just use the standard Qt interfaces to copy each track as a WAV file
somewhere)). If you want to use it I'll try to look it up.

I'd volunteer to help - I love to work with oldish technology - but I
no longer have a CD drive.

Thanks,
Boudhayan Gupta
KDE e.V. - Community Working Group