Application usage statistics and targeted user surveys

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Apr 23 17:20:19 BST 2017

On Sunday, 23 April 2017 14:41:05 CEST Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Did I just miss it -- or didn't you tell us where we can find the library?
> Curiously enough, there's a gsoc proposal this year for krita that has
> pretty much this as its goal...

Interesting :) I wasn't aware of that, I only knew about the statistics Kexi
collects. Sounds like very similar data as what I'm looking for for GammaRay
too, ie. which features/tools/views are used how often.

The already built-in way of tracking that kind of data is as normalized ratios
(ie. usage time percentage). Absolute counts would also be possible, but are
somewhat more prone to fingerprinting. At the PIM sprint two weeks ago adding
application-side downsampling was proposed as a countermeasure (but has yet to
be implemented).

There are some ideas for making collecting this kind of data easier by adding
code for e.g. counting QAction triggers, or monitoring QItemSelectionModels,
next to the existing property monitoring code. But it probably makes sense to
look at a few potential users first to see how the data is represented there.

Regarding system information (which you basically can get for free once you
have the infrastructure in place anyway), I'd guess details on the OpenGL
stack and the available input devices might be most relevant for Krita, adding
the former is at least already on my todo list.

Regards,
Volker