How to install icons for multiple themes

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Apr 17 21:27:15 BST 2017

Hey all,

how is one supposed to install different versions of icons for different icon
themes? Say I have an icon for breeze, breeze-dark and oxygen. I went ahead
and plumbed it into CMake with ECM's ecm_install_icons specifying THEME
accordingly, but at runtime nothing is found... Only if I install into hicolor
does it work for me

Stracing makes me wonder whether the lookup rules match the installation
logic...

ECM installs to e.g.:

/home/milian/projects/compiled/other/share/icons/breeze/16x16/apps/
hotspot.svgz

Strace shows me the nearest match it looks into:
/home/milian/projects/compiled/kf5/share/icons/breeze/apps/16/hotspot.svg

- this is a wrong prefix, but both are listed in XDG_DATA_DIRS
- it has the wrong directory structure, i.e. it's apps/16 instead of 16x16/
apps
- it doesn't look for the svgz variant, even though ecm_install_icons says so

So, clearly something is majorly broken here... If I install into the hicolor
theme, things start to work since strace also shows that this path is looked
up:

/home/milian/projects/compiled/other/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/
hotspot.svgz

So I'm at a loss. At what level is this broken? Is this inside the KDE icon
subsystem? Is this in ECM? Am I missing some environment variable?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de