Why do we need to run two kwalletd?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat May 28 15:14:23 BST 2016

El dissabte, 28 de maig de 2016, a les 10:19:59 CEST, Thiago Macieira va
escriure:
> Commit https://quickgit.kde.org/?
> p=kwallet.git&a=commit&h=f7c1586264e029be50f3d9ca15ccad268a8c5601 renamed
> the binary and the D-Bus name for kwalletd in the name of coinstallability.
>
> Coinstallation is fine, but as a consequence, people with mixed KDE 4 and
> KF5- based systems now have two kwalletd running and often two
> kwalletmanager running, with two icons in their systrays and little
> information which is which.
>
> Moreover, there are two sets of wallets, with subtle differences because one
> was migrated off the other at some point in time, but then they diverged.
>
> Was that the correct/wise decision? Why not have *one* wallet for all
> programs?

I think it was not a wise decision, it was probably done for people thinking
with a "KDE 5" mindset in which everything would move to KF5 & friends at the
same time.

I don't think it's an easily fixable solution at this point unfortunately, I'd
like to be proven wrong :)

Cheers,
  Albert