[Kde-pim] Qt 4 Builds

Raymond Wooninck tittiatcoke at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 18:51:27 BST 2016

On Sunday, 27 March 2016 16:19:07 CEST laurent Montel wrote:

> > The latest openSuse (Leap 42.1) ships the Qt4 based kdepim, although it
> > uses plasma5 desktop.
>
> It's opensuse problem :)
>
> > Speaking of it: given that openSuse decided against shipping KF5-based
> > PIM,
> > how stable is KF5-based PIM considered these days ?
> > Is it ready for productive daily professional use ?
>
> For me yep it's stable with an akonadi better than kde4 akonadi.

I believe a little explanation is in order here :)  When openSUSE Leap was
released, the available kdepim was still Qt4 based and the Qt5 version was
still worked on.

Since that moment we have been updating Leap with the KDE Application releases
and at this moment Leap offers both the Qt4 as the Qt5 version of kdepim.  As
that this is a static distribution that can only be updated, we can not drop
packages. This will happen with a newer release of openSUSE Leap.  Until that
time both versions will co-exist, but only the Qt5 version will receive
updates.

So openSUSE NEVER decided against shipping the KF5-based PIM, but it wasn't
available at the time.  For openSUSE Tumbleweed, we "forced" the switch to the
KF5-based PIM version with the KDE Applications 15.12.0 release.

Regards

Raymond
openSUSE KDE Community team member