Fwd: Required VS compiler

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Mon Mar 21 21:07:57 GMT 2016

Hi all,

I installed Qt 5.6.0 and MSVC 2015, and surprisingly Kate
including all its dependencies compiled out of the box.

I still see QStringLiteral fixes from time to time on the commit
mailing list. Given MSVC 2015 Community Edition is available
just like v2013, and it seems to work I believe that committing
such fixes does not make sense, in fact, it often makes code
worse.

Therefore, I would like to propose v2015 as required compiler
and Qt5.6 as required Qt version on Windows, or are there
reasons against it?

Qt 5.5 is not precompiled for MSVC 2015, that's why increasing
the Qt version should be fine, especially since 5.6 is an LTS
version.

Greetings,
Dominik