remove khelpcenter from next Plasma release?

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Wed Mar 9 17:18:43 GMT 2016

On Wednesday 09 of March 2016 16:50:39 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 09, 2016 17:30:01 Luigi Toscano wrote:
> > > Let me cut right to the chase, do you want to maintain it? Does it need
> > > be in Plasma?
> >
> > Yes, I can maintain it. In fact many features come from components I
> > already  control.
> >
> > > You're right that Plasma devs don't seem to want it, I thought my
> > > initial
> > > email made that pretty clear. We do think that disconnected systems are
> > > rather a fringe case, and that our time and effort is better spent on
> > > other
> > > things.
> >
> > Then the question still holds: with a maintainer, does it have a place in
> > Plasma? I'm not talking about an hypothetical time and effort for
> > maintaining  this offline use case (which will continue to be 0) but in
> > the
> > light of the statement above. In other words, if the question mark in the
> > subject is real or rhetorical.
> > I'm ready for both possible outcomes.
>
> Ah OK, sorry for misunderstanding it.
>
> I think there are the following options:
>
> 1) keeping it in Plasma with maintainer
> 2) keeping it outside of Plasma with maintainer
> 3) moving it to unmaintained (that's basically killing it)
> 4) keeping the status quo (not wanted)
>
> My personal preference would be an optional component (hence Extragear),
> since I think that the vast majority of users has web access, so
> khelpcenter isn't necessary and only adds to our maintainance burden
> without much gain in those cases.

My offer stands and we can rule out 4) and 3).
Note that 2) could also mean a move to Applications (from your point of view
it does not matter too much).
The case 1) shouldn't add maintenance anyway as the maintainer is identified.

> If we can move from 4) to 1) (so status quo but with maintainer), that would
> already be an improvement of course.
>
> The question mark was honest, we haven't made a decision on it, but
> different people do have expressed a preference for not shipping it (as or
> by default in Plasma releases). We may have missed important points, and we
> don't want to just kick things out unilaterally.

I think we can leave some time for other people to comment. The shortest
deadline of all possibilities is the one for moving into Applications, and
there are still 8 days before the dependency freeze and two weeks before the
branch.

--
Luigi