KDE file dialog

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Mar 2 06:52:18 GMT 2016

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:37:55 PM CET Mark Gaiser wrote:
> Op 29 feb. 2016 11:10 p.m. schreef "Thiago Macieira" <thiago at kde.org>:
> > On segunda-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2016 21:42:11 PST Sven Brauch wrote:
> > > Hey,

> > > It isn't, unfortunately. For example, it requires KSNI support, because
> > > for some weird reason that is part of the platform theme.
> > >
> > > So using QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=kde is basically not a viable solution for
> > > any non-plasma desktop out there. Instead you are stuck with a 3rd party
> > > solution like qt5ct to at least set the Qt / icon theme (color scheme is
> > > quite hard already), and there is basically no viable option to get e.g.
> > > KDE file dialogs back (instead of the unusable Qt5 default ones).
> >
> > If you're not in the Plasma desktop, you should get the dialogs from the
> > desktop you're in. For example, if you're in GNOME, the GTK style plugin
> > should get the GTK dialogs.
> >
> > The only left-over is for a Qt 5 app on a KDE 4 desktop. In that case, I'd
> > argue that the Plasma plugin should be loaded, but it needs to be
>
> installed
>
> > too.
>
> That is only true in a "KDE and gnome world". There are more "environments"
> out there. I specifically left out the "desktop" word since there are
> environments out there where you might argue if it deserves the "desktop"
> suffix. I for instance quite often fire up openbox. It doesn't have a Qt
> theme platform plugin and should IMHO not aim to make one. Plasma has a
> fine plugin which works wonderfully on openbox and makes qt dialogs look
> fancy instead of ugly.
>
> I let my openbox environment think that I'm in plasma by setting
> "QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=kde" and that thankfully still works just fine.
>
> I do think that it's a massive shame on the plasma folks for moving this
> plugin into plasma itself for supposed "better integration" which I
> seriously doubt.

Please watch your words! I don't want to be shamed just because you are badly
informed.

Yes we need it for better integration. Yes this already happened. For example
yesterday Johnathan presented me a Wayland live CD, I run it, started an
application and reported back to him that plasma-integration was missing. Just
by looking at one window I was able to see that it was missing. So maybe there
are real things in that plugin which provide better integration.

Cheers
Martin