web server for appstream metadata screenshots

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sun Jun 12 05:46:10 BST 2016

написане Sun, 12 Jun 2016 04:17:07 +0300, Albert Astals Cid
<aacid at kde.org>:

> El dimecres, 8 de juny de 2016, a les 19:32:32 CEST, Yuri Chornoivan va
> escriure:
>> написане Wed, 08 Jun 2016 19:27:23 +0300, Burkhard Lück
>>
>> <lueck at hube-lueck.de>:

>> referenced

>> used

>> consistency

>> relying

>> are
>> >
>> > www/sites/www/screenshots (svn) has 176 pngs
>> >
>> > websites/edu-kde-org/ (git) has 1287 pngs
>> >
>> > master kf5 / doc[s] (git) folders have  2079 pngs
>> >
>> > master kde4 / doc[s] (git) folders have 1702 pngs
>> >
>> > I do not understand why the 176 pngs in www/sites/www/screenshots are
>> > problem for migration to git
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I might be wrong, but is the hotlinking to Phabricator/Git files
>> (screenshots in this case) a good thing?
>
> Nobody suggested that, right?

I might misunderstand the whole thing. If it is, just ignore this message.

The typical size of AppData screenshot is ~100 kB. Let's say that there
are ~1000 users that use Discover features to explore KDE applications in
a release day. They can overview ~10 screenshots in average. This will be
1 GB of traffic + load on Phabricator to resolve commits.kde.org links (if
files are stored in git).

Recently, Ben Cooksley removed the page with Calligra Icons from
community.kde.org for similar hotlinking:

https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Icons/3.0

That was the source of my concerns.

On the other hand, if screenshots will be stored in different
places/hostings (each application stores its screenshot in its own place)
it can leverage the load on our infrastructure.

Sorry again, if I misunderstand something.

Best regards,
Yuri