web server for appstream metadata screenshots

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Jun 8 22:37:29 BST 2016

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 4:32 AM, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
> написане Wed, 08 Jun 2016 19:27:23 +0300, Burkhard Lück
> <lueck at hube-lueck.de>:

>>> The screenshots on kde.org/applications are stored in SVN and they are
>>> the main reason why I couldn't migrate that website to Git. I would
>>> prefer if you don't add even more there...
>>

>> www/sites/www/screenshots (svn) has 176 pngs
>>
>> websites/edu-kde-org/ (git) has 1287 pngs
>>
>> master kf5 / doc[s] (git) folders have  2079 pngs
>>
>> master kde4 / doc[s] (git) folders have 1702 pngs
>>
>> I do not understand why the 176 pngs in www/sites/www/screenshots are a
>> problem for migration to git
>

> Hi,
>
> I might be wrong, but is the hotlinking to Phabricator/Git files
> (screenshots in this case) a good thing?

Hotlinking to any repository browser (whether Phabricator, Quickgit,
WebSVN or anything else) on KDE infrastructure is not supported under
any circumstance. Our web servers are configured to block some forms
of this already.

Repository browsers are extremely expensive resource wise, compared to
static file serving, and one can expect something like Appstream
metadata to receive quite a few hits, therefore something properly
setup for this should be done.

Please file a sysadmin ticket once you've determined what the best way
is to do this.

> Best regards,
> Yuri

Regards,