Snappy sprint reporty musing

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Wed Jul 27 10:26:02 BST 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
> Snappy right now has limited exposure as it is only available on
> Ubuntu (Unity). This is actively being worked on with main blockers
> being missing golang stacks (snapd is mostly written in Go), missing
> apparmor patches (pending upstreaming), and systems that don't use
> apparmor at all which I guess is the biggest hurdle (needs special
> kernel configurations). Overall there seems to be interest in having
> things work well everywhere, which is good of course. Additionally,
> there's also cool stuff in the works such as adding snap build support
> in the open build service (OBS).

Since there is some confusion over this: Right now you can already
install snapd on the big distros, and you can probably use snaps just
fine. The problem is that sometimes those builds are unofficial (i.e.
not from the main repositories) and they require kernels with suitable
apparmor patches to make confinement actually work, so you potentially
need untrusted/unsigned kernels to make this fly as well as on Ubuntu.
This is rapidly improving however.

For testing purposes you should be fine as long as you install snaps
with `snap install --devmode yolo.snap` as that will mostly behave
like a glorified container (do not that on some distros might actually
need their security module disabled e.g selinux on fedora). For actual
production use it's kinda meh still.

HS