What's kde-core-devel for?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Dec 20 21:30:19 GMT 2016

On 2016 M12 19, Mon 22:48:29 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Please let's try to stay focused on topic.
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert
>
> P.S: took me like 4 minutes
>
> PHP    - https://cgit.kde.org/websites/capacity.git/
> Java   - https://cgit.kde.org/kdeconnect-android.git/
> Python - https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-support/pology/
> PHP    - https://cgit.kde.org/websites/paste-kde-org.git/
> CMake  - https://cgit.kde.org/extra-cmake-modules.git/
> PHP    - https://cgit.kde.org/websites/identity-kde-org.git/tree/

you are right, it's kind of off topic here.

<rant>
Still, I am hearing this, and the latest KDE eV report starts with "KDE has
become a huge umbrella organization supporting all sorts of FOSS-related
projects" and the only one I can think of is still Wiki2Learn.
All the things you list have the purpose to either support the Qt/kdelibs
based software or to support their development. Using them as reason to say
"we are not only about kdelibs-based software" is nitpicking on the words in
my honest opinion.
Our users want from us more direction and strategy, and we respond with "we do
all sorts of FOSS-related projects". Just recently I was reminded on the pity
state of software for Android. You want something, and you can chose from a
wide range of tiny apps, from unknown developers, no community, some with ads
some without. I would LOVE to have a KDE-like array of apps available for
Android. With a well-known community behind it, bug trackers, free software,
and as a bonus using technology I know, so I could even help.
Instead I have to deal with the hodgepodge you get for Android.
And instead of trying to really aim at Android as a second target beside
desktop Linux, we go at least two steps further and claim "all sorts of FOSS-
related projects" instead. :-/
</rant>

Sorry for that here
Alex