What's kde-core-devel for?

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Mon Dec 19 09:01:05 GMT 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> In the old days it had kdelibs development discussion but not that that has
> moved over to kde-frameworks-devel, waht's kde-core-devel for?

*cough*
http://markmail.org/thread/opcvfo5h7elrvqdl

Everyone kinda agrees that there's one list too many between
kde-core-devel and kde-frameworks-devel. Someone needs to file a
sysadmin ticket and that person gets to decide whether kde-core-devel
gets killed in favor of kde-frameworks-devel (and kde-devel) or vice
versa. Discussing this is nothing but a bikeshed waste of time.

kde-core-devel is an overly generic name. It being generic makes it an
attractive dumping ground for just about anything that seems even
remotely relevant to more than one development team, which is weird as
there's probably lots of devs that aren't even subbed here (anymore).
The way I see it kde-frameworks-devel has a specific discussion topic,
kde-core-devel does not. It may have in principle at some point been
about kdelibs but those days are long gone, probably in no small part
due to its naming. kde-core-devel should be done away with, sending
all kdelibs relevant topics to kde-frameworks since the knowledgeable
people hang out there. General development discussion should happen on
kde-devel as is already happening anyway. Release discussion should
happen on release-team. If any topics are then left out in the cold we
can open a new list kde-devel-community for random stuff that the
developer community wishes to discuss.

(FTR: this list gets konqueror reviews. very core :-/)

HS