KRandom regression + fix

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Thu Apr 28 01:54:54 BST 2016

On Thu, April 28, 2016 00:18:05 Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> Am 27.04.2016 23:45 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > El dimecres, 27 d’abril de 2016, a les 11:42:46 CEST, Frederik Schwarzer
va escriure:
> >> Since I am neither a core developer (just maintaining a game which was
> >> beaten by the consequences of this issue) nor a crypto guy, I cannot
> >> really assess the severity of such a regression but my first thoughts
> >> were:
> >> - why is there no unit test cathing this?
> >
> > Because noone wrote one (obvious answer)
>
> Yes, of course that's the obvious answer. :)
> I asked because the answer could have been something along the lines of
> "because KRandom is old; do not use it; we have something new in
> frameworks" or so.

It *is* old. In fact I seriously think we should declare KRandom's functions
as deprecated now and remove it for KF6, in favor of C++'s own native support
from random numbers after C++11.

We could probably say the same for KRandomSequence but that one at least has a
few extra features for things like games. But even that could be built on
C++11 features and perhaps moved to libkdegames instead in the future, and
then removed from KCoreAddons after KF5.

Anyways, I have carried the 'patches welcome' spirit going by submitting a
patch that adds a unit test for KRandom and KRandomSequence. I am not sure if
autotests require review like code changes do but just in case it is on RR at
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/127778/

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne