[Kde-bindings] A new attempt on PyKDE5 binding generation

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Apr 6 23:16:58 BST 2016

El dilluns, 4 d’abril de 2016, a les 18:36:16 CEST, Shaheed Haque va escriure:
> Those build dependency and packaging questions are exactly why I keep
> making remarks about needing CMake help from folks who are familiar
> with current KDE build setups (and, maybe, packaging).
>
> So, to provide some food for thought...
>
> 1. The way the tool works is that there is a driver.py program which
> you run something like this (simplified):
>
> $ driver.py -I <qt5-include-root>,<kde-include-root>
> <root-of-hdrs-to-turn-into-SIP> <dest-dir>
>
> This converts the tree of C++ header files (e.g. /usr/include/KF5)
> from argument 1 into a matching tree of SIP files in argument 2, using
> the .h files for the -I option to allow the clang parser to be able to
> understand the dependencies. Thus, the tool depends on:
>
> - libclang3.9-dev
> - python-clang-3.9
> - Qt header files
> - KDE header files as required
> - the header files of the project you are trying to bind
>
> 2. You then have to run the SIP compiler to generate the C++ code for
> the actual bindings. Thus this step depends on:
>
> - the driver.py (currently in pykde5.git) plus its dependencies as above
> - PyQt5 sip files (pyqt5-dev)
> - KDE (5) sip files as required, e.g. for KF5

You lost me here, isn't this the thing we are generating on Step 1? Or you
mean for things like if I wanted to create python bindings for libokular?

> - the SIP files of the project you are trying to bind

Ok, i think i do understand the dependencie sa bit better and the fact that a
driver.py is needed kind of negates the possibility of every framework
repository having it's own python bindings inside since that would make all of
the frameworks suddenly depend on a new thing, making everything have one
tier[1] more

I agree with you that having all the KF5 code together probably makes sense to
at least get this bootstrapped.

But personally I would not suggest having a "kde-wide" pykde5 repo given how
many different release schedules we have now it would be close to unmanageable
having a single repo that has kf5+marble+krita python bindings.

So my suggestion would be renaming pykde5.git to pykf5.git, and that means
*only* KDE Frameworks 5 bindings would go in there, any other repo that wants
to provide python bindings (say okular, marble or krita) should do somewhere
else, ideally their own repo so the binding and the original code are close
together and it's easier to keep in sync when api changes.

Am I making sense?

Cheers,
  Albert

[1] https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/
Policies#Frameworks_have_a_Tier_and_a_Type