Naming scheme for Qt5/KF5-based libraries outside of KF5

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 23:43:59 BST 2015

> On 2015-09-27, Boudhayan Gupta <bgupta at kde.org> wrote:
>> "Seen before" is no reason to not move forward if we can actually fix
>> this. As I said, Extragear library developers will *have* to provide
>> API/ABI guarantees.
>
> Good luck with that.
>
>> That's the ideal scenario, but isn't becoming a framework... hard?
>
> No. Once you have something useful, reviewed and wants to commit to
> abi/api stability it is just a bit of paperwork.

Sune,

One does not simply commit to ABI/API stability. Look at kmime, kmbox,
etc: KDE PIM team was about to submit these libraries into KF5, but
now they have to bump SOVERSIONs [1] because of breaking ABI.

And you can also look at the numbers: KF5 grows at the rate of less
than one framework per month. We probably don't have enough manpower
to review dozens/hundreds of libraries in a short period of time.

[1] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/125285/

--
Alexander Potashev