Naming scheme for Qt5/KF5-based libraries outside of KF5

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Sep 27 16:25:53 BST 2015

Hi Boudhayan,

Am Sonntag, 27. September 2015, 04:01:26 schrieb Boudhayan Gupta:
> We could kill two birds with one stone here, creating a new KDE module
> just for libraries (say, KDE Companion Libraries or something) and put
> everything in the KC5 (or whatever we decide) namespace.
>
> I'm all for just putting everything in KDE Support, using the KS5
> namespace and removing the tier0 restriction from Support.

Some bummer here:
a) not all libraries are in repositories of their own
b) not all libraries are released on the same cycle

E.g. a) happens because the libs could be shared libs for sharing between
multiple executables/plugins developed in a single repo. Or they are only
slowly established as shared code and still developed strongly coupled with
their main user executable/plugin and for that live in the same repo.
And b) is because there are a few libs in extragear or playground repos, so
not covered by the "KDE Applications" release cycle or forced to follow.

So while I agree that having all libs nicely separated would be good to have,
if only for discoverability, doing that with a single module at least
currently would not work.

((Long-term we should perhaps look into that, because right now the layout of
our repository structure does not make a difference between repos with
executables, plugins and libraries (and mixed ones).
And IMHO if we have libs, thus code intended to be shared between other
software, it would be great if it would be easy to developers to simply browse
all of the libs to find something perhaps matching. If that list would be a
virtual one, fine as well, but having the real repositories ordering also
follow that grouping helps shaping minds and reduces complexicity needed due
to the mapping.
(Would also make it simpler to know which libs there are that should be also
noted at inqlude.org)

But different topic, with quite some details and strings attached, worth at
least a different thread (and someone who can and would drive any planning for
that for some time, not me).))

Cheers
Friedrich