Spectacle moved to KDE Graphics, future of KSnapshot?

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 16:05:28 BST 2015

On Samstag, 26. September 2015 11:05:25 CEST, Boudhayan Gupta wrote:
> On 26 September 2015 at 06:55, Eike Hein <hein at kde.org> wrote:
>> I'm more concerned about the migration path from KSnapshot
>> to Spectacle. Can we make a hard decision to abandon
>> KSnapshot on X11
>
> +1
>
>> and have Spectacle install a ksnapshot
>> symlink for a grace period?
>
> -1

One hardly makes sense without the other.
As of today there'll be many installations with (hand- or distromade) global shortcuts calling "ksnapshot -something" on Ctrl/Alt/Meta+Print - if we tell distros to abandon ksnapshot, the result will be a hell lot of systems w/o working printscreen functionality. "Supergreat".

I'd prefer to see a symlink or shim (wrapping ksnapshot switches to "spectacle" (wtf came up with that name? ;-) ones), but if there's no migration path, ksnapshot "needs" to remain and users have to choose the upgrade to "spectacle".

Cheers,
Thomas