Naming scheme for Qt5/KF5-based libraries outside of KF5

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Sun Sep 27 10:59:35 BST 2015

On 2015-09-26, Boudhayan Gupta <bgupta at kde.org> wrote:
> We could kill two birds with one stone here, creating a new KDE module
> just for libraries (say, KDE Companion Libraries or something) and put
> everything in the KC5 (or whatever we decide) namespace.

By doing this, we kind of make it a thing to .. become. I do think that
shared cross-repository libraries that aren't frameworks should be
avoided as much as possible, and for the few ones where it isn't
possible for specific functionality we should still try to limit it.

It is libraries that might change abi and api, and that's generally a
mess, especially if the users have different release schedules. And
people will use an available shared library.

> I'm all for just putting everything in KDE Support, using the KS5
> namespace and removing the tier0 restriction from Support.

KDE Support is our 'low level' libraries, but many of them has become
frameworks, which I think should also be the road ahead.

/Sune