Naming scheme for Qt5/KF5-based libraries outside of KF5

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 05:59:21 BST 2015

> El Diumenge, 27 de setembre de 2015, a les 04:01:26, Boudhayan Gupta va
> escriure:
>> On 27 September 2015 at 03:36, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>> > El Dissabte, 26 de setembre de 2015, a les 16:27:22, Sune Vuorela va
> escriure:

>> > I agree, the problem is that there's few exceptions to copy from, so
>> > that's
>> > the exact reason libkdegames has that KF5 thing in the name, the guy that
>> > did the port just copied what the frmeworks do.
>> >
>> > So anyone up for write what "a library that is not frameworks should do to
>> > be nice in the KDE land"?
>>
>> We could kill two birds with one stone here, creating a new KDE module
>> just for libraries (say, KDE Companion Libraries or something) and put
>> everything in the KC5 (or whatever we decide) namespace.
>>
>> I'm all for just putting everything in KDE Support, using the KS5
>> namespace and removing the tier0 restriction from Support.
>
> I don't see which birds it kills, as far as I see it it only gives you the
> problem of having yet another product to release.

Sune, Boudhayan, Albert,

Thanks for your feedback! I think we already have consensus on the
"-qt5" suffix. I'll go rename the shared libraries in a few repos...
:)

Albert, do you mean you want a Techbase page with guidelines for libraries?

Regarding the library product, Boudhayan almost repeated my proposal
[1]. But using a namespace (e.g. KC5::) would not be a good idea
because this product may contain completely disconnected libraries.
"-qt5" suffixes should be enough. For KF5 the namespace makes sense
because the frameworks have numerous dependencies between one another,
thus KF5 feels and is promoted as an all-in-one product.

[1] https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2015-June/008628.html

--
Alexander Potashev